We tried these recipes from Chickpeas: Sweet and Savory Recipes from Hummus to Dessert and they were so good we wanted to share them. The Spinach & Chickpea Quiche redefines brunch (and breakfast, and snack time). And, the Chocolate Brownies with Ganâche are so good they'll hurt your feelings.
We invite you try these recipes with your friends and family. Then, come back here and tell us what you think of them. Share them on Twitter with the hashtag #ChickpeasatCharlesbridge and be sure to send folks to this post with the URL www.charlesbridge.com/blog/Chickpeas. And you can find more amazing recipes with chickpeas in Chickpeas!
Spinach & Chickpea Quiche
Ingredients (Makes one 9-inch tart)
|1 ¼ cups wheat flour, sifted, plus more dusting||½ cup cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes||2 tablespoons ice cold water or milk (if needed)|
|½ teaspoon salt|
|2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil||½ pound spinach leaves||3 large eggs|
|2 onions, cut into small dice||½ teaspoon grated nutmeg||Cooking spray, for greasing|
|1 red bell pepper, sliced||Salt and freshly ground black pepper||1 ½ cups thickly grated Gruyere cheese|
|2 cups heavy cream||
- Prepare the crust: In the bowl of a food processor, sift together the flour and salt. Add the butter, and pulse until course crumbs form. Mix in the egg, until a dough forms. If the mixture is too dry, add just enough water to form a dough.
- Shape the dough into disk, wrap with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Prepare the filling: In a large pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions, red pepper, chickpeas, spinach, nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste. Saute for about 10 minutes, until the vegetables soften and the liquids are almost evaporated.
- Pour in the cream, and cook on low heat for about 5 minutes, until the mixture thickens slightly. Remove from the heat and whisk in the eggs, and then set aside.
- Grease a 9-inch fluted tart pan with cooking spray Lightly dust your work surface with flour, or place the chilled dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper. Roll out the dough and cut a 13-inch round.
- Tuck the round into the tart pan, gently pressing it into the edges and up the sides. Transfer to the freezer and chill for about 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375° F. Remove the shell from the freezer and trim the edges, leaving a 1-inch overhang. Line the shell with parchment paper, fill with pie weights or dried beans, and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the partially baked shell from the oven, and remove the pie weights and parchment paper Distribute ½ cup of the cheese evenly into the shell. Top with the vegetable mixture, and then top with the rest of the cheese.
Bake for 20 minutes, or until the filling sets and the top is golden. Serve warm or at room temperature. May be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Chocolate Brownies with Ganâche
Ingredients (Makes sixteen 2-inch brownies)
|Cooking spray, for greasing||2 teaspoons vanilla extract||1 teaspoon baking powder|
|2 cups cooked chickpeas or one 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed||1 tablespoon canola oil||2 tablespoons almond flour|
|4 large eggs||3 tablespoons cocoa powder||⅛ teaspoon salt|
|½ cup white sugar||½ cup chocolate chips|
|½ cup heavy cream||½ cup chocolate chips|
- Prepare the brownies: Preheat oven to 350° F and line an 8 x 8-inch baking pan with a parchment paper or grease with cooking spray.
- In a blender or food processor, pulse the chickpeas until smooth.
- Transfer the chickpeas to a large bowl, and mix in the eggs, vanilla extract and oil, until blended.
- In another bowl, mix the cocoa, sugar, baking powder, flour and salt. Combine with the chickpea mixture, and then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour into the pan and bake for 20 minutes until toothpick, inserted into the middle, comes out with a few crumbs on it. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Prepare the ganâche: Pour the cream into a small saucepan and heat just until boiling. Remove from the heat and stir in the chocolate chips, stirring until smooth and glossy.
- Cut the brownies into 16-equal pieces and then top each piece with chocolate ganâche. Serve warm.
Enjoy! And don't forget to come back and tell us what you think!
Share this post