Charlesbridge Manuscript Submission Guidelines
**As of September 2015, we are now accepting young-adult novels for consideration.**
Charlesbridge publishes high-quality books for children, with a goal of creating lifelong readers and learners. We believe that books for children should offer accurate information, promote a positive worldview, and embrace a child’s innate sense of wonder and fun. To this end, we continually strive to seek new voices, new visions, and new directions in children’s literature.
Charlesbridge publishes board books, picture books, early readers, and middle-grade fiction and nonfiction for ages 0-14. Our nonfiction focuses on nature, math/science, social studies, the arts, and diversity/multicultural topics. Our fiction includes lively, plot-driven stories with strong, engaging characters.
Charlesbridge currently accepts unsolicited manuscripts. Due to the high volume of submissions, we respond only to manuscripts of interest to us. All other manuscripts will be recycled. If you have not heard back from us after three months, you may assume we do not have a place for your project.
What to Send
- Please submit only one manuscript at a time.
- Manuscripts should be typed and double-spaced. Illustrations are not necessary.
- Please include your name, address, and contact information on the first page of your manuscript and in your cover letter. Be sure to list any previously published work or relevant writing experience.
- For picture books and books under 30 manuscript pages, please send a complete manuscript.
- For fiction books longer than 30 manuscript pages, please send a detailed plot synopsis, a chapter outline, and three chapters of text.
- For nonfiction books longer than 30 manuscript pages, please send a detailed proposal, a chapter outline, and 1–3 chapters of text.
- We are not actively seeking alphabet books, coloring books, activity books, or novelty books.
- Please make a copy of your manuscript, as we cannot be responsible for submissions lost in the mail. Manuscripts will not be returned.
- Please send submissions (with the exception of young-adult novels) via regular postal mail. We do not accept submissions by email or on a computer disk.
- Please do not include a self-addressed stamped envelope for return of your manuscript. We respond only to manuscripts of interest to us; all other manuscripts will be recycled.
Where to Send Submissions
Please send your work to the attention of:
9 Galen Street
Watertown, MA 02472
If you are sending a young-adult novel, please mark the front of the envelope with YA NOVEL ENCLOSED. However, for YA novels, email submissions are preferred at the following address: YAsubs@charlesbridge.com.
Get to Know Us
To become acquainted with our publishing program, we encourage you to review our books and download our catalog.