School Event Ideas
Plan Ahead for Your Author/Illustrator Visit
Before the Visit:
- Order a copy or copies of the author/illustrator’s book to read with the class(es).
- Discuss the story and brainstorm questions for the author/illustrator.
- Have students illustrate their favorite scene or scenes from the book and decorate the halls or classrooms with their work.
- Create a banner or welcome sign for the author/illustrator to hang in the school lobby where parents, teachers, students, and the author will see it.
- Send a letter and order form home to parents informing them of the visit.
- Order the author/illustrator’s books and create a display in the school library or lobby.
- Contact your local newspaper about the author/illustrator visit and place a blurb in your school newsletter publicizing the visit.
The Day of the Visit:
- Assign “student ambassadors” to greet the author/illustrator and show them around the school.
- Have students welcome the author/illustrator with a performance or recitation of his or her work.
- Have any props (i.e. projector, easel, arts and crafts material, microphone, etc.) ready for the author/illustrator.
- Provide refreshments and/or lunch for the author/illustrator.
- Have a question and answer time, when the author/illustrator will call on students or choose a question from a hat that the students have prepared in advance.
After the Visit:
- Have students write thank you letters or poems to the author.
- Create a display with photographs of the event in the school library or lobby where parents, teachers, and students can see it.
- Reread the author’s work and discuss students’ favorite moments from the visit.